Instructions to enable launching support to CAD files from SP
To install and test the CADtoWIN launcher feature for your SharePoint document library view, please do the next.
SharePoint server configuration:
Depending on the SharePoint version, there are 3 ways to configure the CADtoWIN launching feature.
A. Legacy Launch support (only for SharePoint on premises versions)
Pros: Easy installation, seamless integration to all sites, icon and link support.
Cons: Works only with Internet Explorer 32 bit (no Edge or IE 64 bit) and SharePoint on premises classic view only.
To get the “Edit in Autodesk AutoCAD” option on SharePoint document libraries, you need to do the following on your SharePoint server (Replace XX for the SharePoint version number)
1. Open the folder %ProgramFiles%\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\XX\TEMPLATE\XML\
2. Add the next line within the <ByExtension> tag of the DOCICON.XML file
<Mapping Key="dwg" Value="ICACAD.GIF" EditText="Autodesk AutoCAD" OpenControl="CADtoWIN.OpenDocuments"/>
3. Copy the ICACAD.GIF file from the CADtoWIN Installation directory %programdata%\Autodesk\ApplicationPlugins\CADtoWIN.bundle\Contents\Resources to the following directory on your SharePoint server
%ProgramFiles%\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\XX\TEMPLATE\IMAGES
4. Restart the IIS service. It can be done by issuing the iisreset command.
5. At the user AutoCAD workstation make sure the user is logged to Windows with local administrative rights. Right click on the AutoCAD application icon while holding the shift key, then select the option "Run as administrator". Once you verify that it is working, you can reset the user Windows registration level rights if necessary.
B. JS link launch support for SharePoint Classic views (applicable to SharePoint on premises and SharePoint Online)
Pros: Icon and link support, seamless scalable integration. Works with any browser
Cons: Does not work on SharePoint Online modern sites. Complex installation
1. From your team site, go to your Site Assets library, create a folder named CADtoWIN and place all the files after unzipped them from http://cadtowin.com/C2W/launcher/URLlauncher.zip
Note, if you like to have this functionality to all subsites, place the files in the parent Site Assets library.
2. Using Classic SharePoint mode, go to the document library's view you are working with and select "Edit Page", see image below
3. Click on the little document library view webpart arrow and edit it as shown the see images below
4. Expand the miscellaneous area (see image below) and type in the "JS link" area the next text if using your local Site Assets library.
If using Site Assets located in a particular subsite use the next
Replace subsite name above for your particular subsite name
If using the Site Assets library located at the root directory, you will need to enter the next
5. Hit OK, stop editing the page and refresh the page view (you may need to hit ctrl + F5), you should see the new icon for the dwg, dwf, dxf, dgn, rvt files.
Using Internet Explorer at the CAD workstation, hit the dwg file name using this view, the dwg file should be launched in their related CAD application, you may be prompted to allow CADtoWIN application to run.
Troubleshooting for AutoCAD files
1. If no dwg icons are displayed or the JS link option, you may need to enable custom scripts, see
Also check you are using the “Classic View”, modern view is not supported.
2. I see the new dwg file icon but when I click on the file link AutoCAD file is not open, only I get prompted to "save or save as".
At the user AutoCAD workstation make sure the user is logged to Windows with local administrative rights. Right click on the AutoCAD application icon while holding the shift key, then select the option "Run as administrator". Once you verify that it is working, you can reset the user Windows registration level rights if necessary.
Check if you have your SharePoint Online site in your IE trusted list. Go to Internet Explorer settings - Internet Options - Security tab - select Trusted sites - site button and add your SharePoint site.
C. Launch support for SharePoint Online modern views:
Pros: Easy installation, support any browser.
Cons: Limited integration, need to be customized per view. Works only with SharePoint Online modern views, no icon support yet.
1. Download http://cadtowin.com/C2W/launcher/CADtoWINAppLauncher.zip and extract the CADtoWINAppLauncher.sppkg file.
2. Upload the downloaded file to your application catalog: Note: you may need to activate CDN in your Office 365 tenant. Access your SharePoint Online tenant admin center application catalog by typing https://yourTenantname-admin.sharepoin.com – Select left side apps option then – App Catalog – Apps for SharePoint and upload the downloaded file in 1. Click Deploy when asked, you should see the next screen.
3. You will be asked to deploy the application, hit deploy
4. Using SharePoint classic view, go to your site and select Site contents – Add an app and click on for the CADtoWIN-app-launcher to install it. You should see the next screen
5. Go to your document library, exit the classic experience and select Library settings as displayed in the next image.
6. Look for the “Add from existing site columns option” add the “CADtoWIN Launcher” column as shown in the next image
7. The new column will display the file launch link. When it is clicked, the next dialog will be displayed, hit “allow” to launch the file using CADtoWIN.
If the message above is not displayed, do the next. Some CADtoWIN versions do not install the required registry key for this to work because of lack of administration level. To install these registry keys, make sure the user is logged to Windows with local administrative rights at the user CAD workstation. Right click on the CAD application icon while holding the shift key, then select the option "Run as administrator". Open and empty drawing and wait for the CADtoWIN icons to show. Close your CAD session and try again clicking on the CADtoWIN Launcher link . Once you verify that it is working, you can reset the user Windows registration level rights if necessary.